After the ban, Umar Akmal qualifies for cricket again

Umar Akmal

Umar Akmal’s 18-month ban has been slashed by six months by the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS), making him eligible to return to representative cricket because the PCB had originally suspended him on February 20 last year. consistent with the PCB, though, the reintegration is subject to the cricketer paying a fine of PKR 4.25 million (approx $27000) and participating within the program of rehabilitation under the board’s anti-corruption code.

 The charges came under Article 2.4.4, which deals with: “Failing to confide in the PCB Vigilance and security (without unnecessary delay) full details of any approaches or invitations received by the Participant to interact in Corrupt Conduct under this Anti-Corruption Code”.

 * Mr. Akmal’s appeal seeking to line aside from the Independent Adjudicator’s decision in respect of Count No. 1 is allowed and therefore the sanction imposed by the Independent Adjudicator is about aside.

 * The PCB’s appeal seeking to line aside the Independent Adjudicator’s reduction in sanctions in respect of both counts is dismissed.

 * Mr. Akmal’s appeal seeking to line aside from the Independent Adjudicator’s decision in respect of Count No. 2 is allowed partially and dismissed partially.

 * The determination by the Independent Adjudicator that Mr. Akmal is guilty of an offense under Article 2.4.4 in failing promptly to report the approach and/or invitation by one Maya in January/February 2020 to the VSD is confirmed.

 * The Independent Adjudicator’s sanction on Mr. Akmal in respect of Charge No. 2 is about aside and in its place, the subsequent sanction is imposed: (1) a period of ineligibility of 12 months and (2) a fine within the sum of PKR 4,250,000.

 * Mr. Akmal’s request for an order that the PCB return his two mobile phones is declined.

 * All other grounds of appeal and requests for relief are hereby dismissed.

 Akmal was initially suspended just hours before the beginning of the fifth edition of the PSL last year, after being found guilty of failing to report details of corrupt approaches made to him. He did accept at the time that the incidents that formed the idea of the 2 charges pressed against him by the PCB had indeed taken place but said the circumstances were such they didn’t merit reporting. He also did not show any remorse for the incidents and said that he wasn’t guilty of either charge.

 “They do not have one piece of evidence which will prove any wrongdoing,” Akmal’s lawyer had said. “The prosecution has supported a call, otherwise there’s no document, no bank transaction or anything which will substantiate their claim”.

 The PCB, however, stuck to its guns, and therefore the decision to lodge an appeal at CAS against the reduction of the ban is known to possess been supported the board’s attempts to worry about its policy against corruption concerning players.

 The legal battle between Akmal and therefore the PCB was eventually taken to CAS, where both the parties had challenged the opposite. Akmal wanted his ban to be lifted, while the PCB had challenged the halving of the first ban from 36 months to 18 months by their independent adjudicator – retired Supreme Court judge Faqir Mohammad Khokhar.

 “I am fully ready and excited to play cricket again,” Akmal said at a press interaction. “It was tough being out and sitting reception with my bread and butter removed. I’m very thankful to my family, Allah, and everybody who stood by me and helped me return to cricket.

 “I don’t need to discuss my national selection. It’s my job to play cricket and perform and it’s up to them [the selectors] – if they think it’s better for the country [to include me], then they’re going to provides a chance.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *